How do I let FINS know I am going to be absent?
Does FINS offer Makeups?
- Yes, we offer make-ups. Please see below regarding HOW to receive a free make-up.
- You must make sure you are marked absent
- This can be done in our parent portal, over the phone, or in person.
- Please do this at least an hour or more before your class time.
- If the above is met, we are glad to provide each swimmer up to 1 FREE make-up per month.
- We book make-up classes up to 7 days in advance
- Swimmers must be currently enrolled to receive their make-up classes
- All make-up classes after your last day of class are forfeited.
- Make-up spots are based on open availability. It is not guaranteed that you will receive a time, day, or specific instructor.
- We do not make-up missed make-ups. If you miss a make-up lesson that make-up lesson is forfeited.
- Please do not save your make-up lessons until the last minute. We cannot guarantee that all lessons will be made up.
- Make-up lessons do not have a cash value, rollover to future enrollment, and are not transferable to other swimmers.
- You must make sure you are marked absent
Interaction during lessons
If you would like to speak with your swimmer’s teacher during your swimmer’s lesson please inform one of the FINS team members and we will assist you.
How do I find out about my swimmers progress?
- Please login to our Parent Portal. If you need assistance please let a front desk team member know.
- You may also schedule a time to meet with the instructor during your swimmers lesson. Please ask a FINS team member for assistance.
Will my swimmer always have the same instructor?
- We do our best to maintain specific instructors and honor instructor requests when possible.
- Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are not always able to honor requests for specific instructors.
- FINS reserves the right to change instructors or have substitute instructors at any time. All of our instructors are trained and care about your swimmer’s success.
- Please opt in for FINS text messages so we can send you updates about your class.
What can I expect from my private swim lesson?
- World-class instructors teaching a world-class curriculum.
- 1:1 instruction allows us to meet each student where they are, providing them all of our focus and attention.
- Swim safety to advanced level swimming – at your swimmers pace
- Fun lessons!
- 1-2 minutes of class entry and exit time
- 18-19 minutes of swim and instruction time.
What if my child is afraid?
- Be assured we have teachers trained to work with fearful swimmers. We will take the lesson at the swimmers pace. Please expect a slower paced class. Slow and steady wins the race.
- Special consideration is given to toddlers 2 – 3 years of age. FINS offers a Parent:Teacher:Swimmer ‘transitional’ class. Having the comfort of a parent involved in lessons with them eases their anxiety, promotes a positive learning experience, and helps boost confidence to move to the next level.
What is the class ratio?
- Baby FINS 1 & 2 – 6:1
- Private lessons – 1:1
What should caregivers do when arriving for lessons at FINS?
- Encourage your swimmer to use the restroom prior to lessons
- Change your swimmer into their swim attire
- Make sure the swimmer has what they need for lessons. (e.g. goggles, flippers)
- Find a seat and wait in the observation area for your swimmer to be called
Can I leave while my swimmer is in their lesson?
No, a responsible caregiver must remain on the premises with their swimmer(s)
What should I do if I don’t hear my swimmers name called for lessons?
We call swimmers names 2-3 times. If you do not hear their name please see a FINS team member immediately.
What are swim diapers and why does my child need to wear them?
- Swim diapers are made to prevent fecal accidents from getting in the water.
- In an effort to protect all swimmers from Waterborne Illnesses (WBI) the Health Department requires that children who are not potty-trained wear reusable swim diapers.
- FINS requires 2 diapers. One disposable swim diaper and one reusable swim diaper.
- The diapers should fit snugly around the swimmers thighs and waist.
Are your pools heated?
Yes, pools are kept between 87-90 degrees. In addition, our air temperature is kept between 82-85 degrees to ensure maximum comfort in our learning environment.
What is the membership fee for?
What type of training/certifications do your instructors have?
- Our instructors participate in rigorous training. The training includes out of water and in water training. If the trainee passes all observations during the interview process and physical demands, they are invited to participate in our training program where they will work with veteran instructors. The trainees are observed by a manager and tested.
- All FINS team members must be CPR certified within their first 30 days at FINS.
- Instructors who teach Baby FINS and more advanced levels receive additional training.
- Instructors are required to attend monthly training to continue their education at FINS to better serve our customers.
How long is each class?
- FINS Private lessons provide 20 minutes of instructional time
- 1-2 minutes of instructional pool entry and exit processes
- 18-19 minutes of swim and instruction
- FINS Baby FINS program provides 30 minutes of instructional time
- 1-3 minutes of pool instructional entry and exit
- 27-29 minutes of swim and instruction
How long will it take my child to learn to swim?
- Consistency is key
- If you are practicing for a 5k and you are new to running it takes time and consistency to improve.
- Every swimmer will go at their own pace
- Most people stay until their swimmer completes the Gold FINS level. This level has the swimmer completing a full lap of backstroke, a full lap of freestyle and beginner treading.
- The majority of our elementary level water safety skills are covered by the time a student completes the Silver FINS level.
- More advanced stroke techniques and water safety skills are taught in our Gold FINS and above classes.
- If you ever have any questions about the skills being taught in your child’s class please see the Aquatics Operations Manager or front desk.
What process do you use to make sure the water is clean?
- All pools are set up on automated monitoring systems to ensure the optimum chlorine and pH levels.
- In addition, we manually test the pools throughout the day.
- All pools are equipped with a UV sanitizing system allowing for above and beyond sanitation.
- Maintenance is set up to vacuum the pools multiple times a week.
When will my child be “drown proof”?
- There is no way to be “drown proof” even the most skilled swimmer can drown. However, we do believe drowning is preventable. We do our best to teach swimmers to love and respect the water. Water safety is our top priority and we teach swimmers rules like Never Swim Alone. In fact, no one should swim alone.
- How can you help you and your family stay safer in and out of the water?
- Gated pools
- Get swim lessons
- Use coast guard approved life jackets
- Know CPR
- Never be more than one arm length away from your child when in or near water even when there are lifeguards.
- Have your child in Brightly Colored swimwear. Stay away from blue, black, white, gray swimwear.
What happens to my class if it falls on a holiday?
FINS pro-rates the holiday’s we are closed.
Does FINS give refunds?
We do not offer refunds. Please see the Customer Relations Manager if you have concerns about your classes or your ability to attend them.
How do I cancel classes?
Easy. Just give us a 30 day notice. We will have you complete our Taking A break form.
What if I am running late for my lesson?
- If you are running late let us know when you walk in and we will get your swimmer into class right away.
- Your swimmer will receive the remaining amount in their lesson time slot.
Can water shoes be worn in FINS pools?
- Water shoes may be worn if they are strictly used for swimming pools.
- Water shoes may not be worn if they are used for anything else other than a swimming pool. This includes any other bodies of water, pavement, grass, or any other area besides swimming pools.
How will we be notified if FINS has to close due to weather or other circumstances?
- There are times that FINS has had to delay lessons due to weather conditions or power outages. If that happens we do our best to contact all customers.
- There are many ways we communicate such circumstances:
- Please opt in for our text messaging service
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
- Give us a call
Do you have showers at FINS?
- Yes, we have communal showers to rinse off in.
- Swimmers must remain in their swimwear while in the showers
- Showers may not be reserved
Where can we change at FINS?
FINS has several changing stalls for your convenience before and after lessons
What do we need to bring for lessons?
- Goggles – Optional until Silver FINS
- Flippers – Required in most levels above Yellow FINS
- Kickboard – Required in Blue FINS and above
- Reusable swim diaper – Required for non-potty trained swimmers
- Disposable swim diaper – Required for non-potty trained swimmers
Can I ask the instructor to teach my child something specific? Example, I would like my child to learn to tread water.
Yes. If our instructors are trained in it we are happy to provide the skills you would like taught during your swimming time.